25 Things I've Learned at 25
(plus where we celebrated, what we did, and what we ate)
1. You really are in charge of your destiny. Work your ass off for what you want.
2. Never count on or hope for handouts - you and your work ethic are better off without them.
3. But don't be afraid to take help when you need it. And ask before you get to the breakdown-and-cry-from-stress stage, because you'll be way less embarrassed asking for help when you don't have mascara streaming down your cheeks.
4. Crying isn't a weakness, but respect yourself enough to know when it is a waste of time.
5. Everyone in your life that sucks is optional.
6. Don't be afraid to say NO. Also, don't be afraid to say YES. Whatever the answer is, it needs to be right for YOU.
7. Happiness is the ultimate goal. But to borrow a line from Christopher McCandless, 'Happiness only real when shared' - so don't be afraid to be happy with someone, too.
8. Try anything you want, you're the only one that cares if you fail or look stupid doing it.
9. Don't do things to impress other people, its a really great way to start hating who you've become.
10. Love your body and learn to appreciate each part of it. We all hate our thighs sometimes, so why stress about it? Confidence will affect your appearance more than changing the way it looks.
11. Treat other people the way you want to be treated, even if they don't always deserve it.
12. Be a good role model for kids and be nice to animals. That's just common sense.
13. Your body, your diet, your happiness: don't worry about other people judging what you eat. Having a good relationship with food can be hard, but really all that matters is how it makes YOU feel.
14. Fuck that boy in high school who slept with your frenemy. The second you leave high school and start to exist in the real world, you realize that you can choose to be around way better people than that and that real relationships should never involve being treated so disrespectfully.
15. Work your ass off in real life so you can go to your high school reunion and just be a straight up badass.
16. If you travel, do what the locals do. You'll have a way better experience not being a tourist.
17. Eat good food, and always try new food. Let other peoples recipes inspire you to create dishes you'll LOVE eating.
18. When you find someone who gets you - like just really gets you- let them know. And then spend as much time with them as you can.
19. People always say they wish they'd started saving younger. I'm 25 now and barely have a savings. I wish I'd started younger, too. SAVE!
20. But also spend money on travel. Life experience in priceless and will make you a better person.
21. Respect other people cultures, views, opinions, and rights. No one deserves any less.
22. Stop giving a fuck about things that don't matter. Let the small stuff slide and don't do anything you don't wanna do.
23. Someday you'll realize your parents aren't perfect, and they're just sometimes crappy human beings like the rest of us. Don't fault them for that.
24. Maintain relationships you appreciate, and don't bother with the ones that feel like work. True friends are hard to come by and well worth investing in.
25. Just do you. Be who you want to be, love who you want to love, and make yourself as ridiculously happy as you can, 'cause thats really all there is.
That's all the wisdom I've got. At least until 26. Thanks for recapping my birthday with me! If you're over 25- you probably know all this stuff already. If you're NOT, trust me. Alright, I've gotta get back in the kitchen. I have a cookbook to work on!